From the grout around your bathtub to the perpetually damp spot in your basement, if you're like most homeowners, chances are you have mold growing somewhere inside of your home. Even a smaller area of mold can cause an allergic reaction, but you're not worried because your friends and family have told you that you can easily get rid of mold yourself.
Mold is a scary invader, but there are many myths associated with this fungus. You've probably been told horror stories, but chances are, you've received a lot of misinformation. Here are a few common myths and misconceptions about mold.
Mold Will Only Flourish in a Moist Environment
To establish itself, mold requires oxygen, moisture, and food, which can be anything from wood and paper to drywall. If there is a wet spot in your home, or your home is warm and humid, mold will begin to flourish quickly. However, if you invest in a dehumidifier or fix the leak, it doesn't mean that you have resolved the problem.
While mold will die without moisture, mold spores can continue to grow in an arid environment. If left untreated, the mold will return the next time you have a leak or other source of moisture in your home.
To achieve the relative humidity in your home to kill off mold spores, you would need to contact a professional. It would be impossible to achieve a drastically low humidity in your home with tools and equipment you could find at a local home improvement store.
Bleach is the Best Weapon Against Mold
If you spot mold in your home, chances are your first reaction is to grab a container of bleach and begin scrubbing. Unfortunately, the bleach will remove the unsightly stains created by mold, but the product will not kill the spores. In fact, your mold will see the introduction of bleach as chemical warfare, and it will defend itself by strengthening its outer membrane.
Basically, this means that using bleach will make your mold infestation even worse. Instead, you need to locate the moisture and food source, and eliminate that. Once again, if the problem is widespread, it is best to leave this chore to a professional.
Only Allergy Sufferers Need to Worry About Mold
It's estimated that 50 million Americans suffer from nasal allergies. One of the main triggers of indoor and outdoor allergies is mold. However, even though sensitivity to mold is a widespread issue, it isn't the only illness that is exacerbated by the presence of mold.
There are several other diseases that are impacted by mold growth or even caused by these dangerous spores, including:
• Chronic inflammatory response syndrome, or CIRS
• Hypersensitivity pneumonitis
• Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis
If anyone in your family is immunocompromised, such as individuals who are suffering from certain forms of cancer or have had an organ transplant, exposure to mold can be life-threatening.
A Homeowner Can Easily Get Rid of Widespread Mold
Finally, one of the most potentially dangerous myths about mold is that an average homeowner can remedy the problem. If you try to get rid of mold on your own, you can make the issue even worse. For example, if you use a scrub brush to eliminate the mold, you will only spread the spores, which will make the infestation even worse.
Instead, it is critical to leave mold remediation to the professionals. A professional will have the skills, knowledge, and equipment necessary to eliminate a serious mold issue.
Finding mold in your home can be scary, especially if the problem is widespread. If you have any more questions, contact Nick's Home Repairs.
Thank you for visiting Nick's Home Repairs in Madisonville, KY. We look forward to earning your business! Simply give us a call today at (270) 875-8898.